Why blog? I don't even have a facebook account...it feels like it makes life so public. But then--blogging is kind of like a diary, isn't it? It makes me feel a little like Doogie Houser at the end of the day--collecting my thoughts and putting them down. I don't want to blog because I want my life to be public (though I don't mind wearing my heart on my sleeve, most of the time) or because I'm a narcissist, but because these days of our young family are so precious I don't want to lose them to a faulty memory. This time, this stage, these moments truly are 'a time to keep', and blogging is simply the most convenient way to keep them and share them.

I really didn't think I'd ever start a blog...but now that Mac has stopped calling firetrucks "fire knuckles" (he now calls them firetrucks, and I'm so sad!), I realize I'll forget that he ever did that if I don't write it down. So, the blog begins. Welcome.

Saturday, January 30, 2010

Some of Mac's (Current) Favorite Things (Will change tomorrow)...and Other Random Thoughts

This is a long post that goes from the mundane to some deeper thoughts on our life in general. Forgive the randomness of it all...

Some common refrains from Mac this week:

"Fixing baby Arden's room": After our complete renovation (down the studs) of Arden's room, and now that Mac has tools of his own (thanks Grandma and Grandpa Anderson!)--he daily "fixes" her room.

"What Do People Do All Day?"
Mac got this book for Christmas from his Nan, and is obsessed with it. We have to read the "doctor part" multiple times a day. He became enamored with this after our 4 visits to the doctor in 7 days a few weeks ago.

"See people working on roof!": A house down the street has been getting a new roof this week. We must "see people on roof" daily.

"Go park!": Every day we have the following conversation at supper:
Me: Mac, tell daddy what we did today.
Mac: Go park! (He says this always--even if we did not go to the park.)
Me: Mac! We didn't go to the park today. What did we do today?
Mac: Go home!
Me: Yes, we eventually went home...but what did we DO?
Mac: Go ...(grocery store, Miss Kate's house, library--whatever it was we actually did do.) Mac: What did Daddy do today? (Actually sounds more like, "Wha-d-dada-eww-do-day?")
Brad: I went to work.
Mac: Go work church!
Brad: Yes, I went to work at church.

The point is that each time you ask Mac what he did that day...no matter what it was we did...he always answers that he went to the park.

Speaking of Brad's job, Thursday of this week was the 8th night in a row that our family has had an unusual night because of Brad's job in youth ministry, and the11th night out of the past 12. Between youth group, Bible studies that we each lead, youth leadership team meetings, the middle school ski retreat, Christian Education Committee meetings...it's just been a really hectic time for us in ministry. Last night we were finally able to celebrate Brad's birthday because it was the first night in a long time we've not had another commitment. Tonight we're home with nothing to do!!! Hurray! Sunday night is youth group, then Monday we leave for a week-long youth ministry conference. We are looking forward to the conference, but I'm also quite excited for a few weeks (when we get home) where the only commitments we have are our normal 3 to 4 nights a week--rather than every night!

We just lead an unusual life, I suppose. I realize now that it's not just Brad in youth ministry--our family is in youth ministry. It's simply the life we lead--and most of the time, I really love it. I love our students and the amazing privilege it is to be part of their lives. I love the unique friendships we have with other families in the same field as us. I love that our children have the wonderful blessing of growing up with the "big kids" who love them, play with them, and provide an example to them. I love that we are able to open our home to teenagers weekly. (Speaking of which, when I make brownies, Mac automatically says, "Big kids coming!"--because I make brownies so often for them. Also--Mac LOVES when the big kids come over because it usually means he gets a sweet treat too. Sometimes I think that's the only reason he loves them so much.)

But the grass is always greener, isn't it? Sometimes I find myself wishing that my husband had a 'normal' job (is there really any such thing as normal anyway?), where he was home in the evenings and on weekends, where we could go to church as a family (he usually needs to be there early and stay later than our children--but we do get to sit together in the pew!), where we could be part of a Bible study or small group without actually leading it (we just don't have time), where we didn't have to deal with the messiness/opinions/criticisms that come with being in ministry...sigh.

Then the question comes to mind...what would I rather be doing? And the answer is--honestly--nothing! This is the best life for us, without a doubt. We get to do what we LOVE--how many people can honestly say that? We get a whole summer that is hectic--for sure--but when we get to go to Bonclarken for 2 weeks to hang out with teenagers (and our dearest friends in youth ministry), when we get to know new interns and have them in our home, when we get to go the lake or various pools during the normal workweek...just because my husband's awesome job allows us (me, Mac and Arden) to share in it. We have the blessing of knowing the sweetest teenagers on earth--watching them grow from awkward middle schoolers, to deep-thinking high schoolers, to all kinds of college students. (This spring, we will attend the wedding of one of our sweetest students--now graduating from college--that we've known since he was a freshman in high school! We're so proud of the man he's become.) We've had the privilege of knowing their incredible families and learning from so many godly couples who have raised godly children. We have the wonderful assurance (though we do doubt it in our darker moments!) that our late nights and whacked-out schedule make a difference in at least a few peoples' lives. I LOVE knowing that what we do MATTERS, at least in some small way.

I hope that we are able to involved in youth ministry--either professionally or as volunteers--our entire lives. It is the perfect niche for us, and I'm honored to be part of it.

Now...I need to end this post...because it's past 11 am and I'm still in my pjs and glasses (hey, it's a rainy Saturday morning!)...though I'm also wearing rainboots and a coat because Brad just called from the hardware store and wanted me to go outside and measure the size of a spigot that is leaking and needs to be replaced. I'm sure that was a sight--me in my get-up traipsing through the freezing pouring rain and messing with a random spigot. Hope no one saw me.

No comments:

Post a Comment