Why blog? I don't even have a facebook account...it feels like it makes life so public. But then--blogging is kind of like a diary, isn't it? It makes me feel a little like Doogie Houser at the end of the day--collecting my thoughts and putting them down. I don't want to blog because I want my life to be public (though I don't mind wearing my heart on my sleeve, most of the time) or because I'm a narcissist, but because these days of our young family are so precious I don't want to lose them to a faulty memory. This time, this stage, these moments truly are 'a time to keep', and blogging is simply the most convenient way to keep them and share them.

I really didn't think I'd ever start a blog...but now that Mac has stopped calling firetrucks "fire knuckles" (he now calls them firetrucks, and I'm so sad!), I realize I'll forget that he ever did that if I don't write it down. So, the blog begins. Welcome.

Saturday, October 16, 2010

Happy Birthday Arden!

My dear, sweet Arden,

Happy Birthday! You are one year old today. What a precious year it's been! It seems to have flown by so quickly, so much more quickly than your brother's first year. I savored each day of your babyhood--but have also been so excited to watch you grow and learn.

You are such a sweet girl. You are a little shy. You love to be held and to cuddle. You let me rock you to sleep if I want--but you're perfectly happy to go to sleep on your own too. You're so sweet--but you're also tough! Having a rough-and-tumble older brother has taught you that. You get knocked down but get right back up. You fight back--which, though I hope to teach all my children to respond in love and kindness--I can't help but be a little proud of you for standing up for yourself. I hope that you can learn to take that same fighting spirit to stand up for others one day.

I love watching you learn to walk! You are taking a few steps at a time now--you can go about 4 feet before you collapse in giggles. (You think walking is hilarious and laugh every time you're able to do it--I really hope you don't take the same hopelessly giggly approach when you learn to drive!) I can see your determination and I think a lot of it has to do with wanting to keep up with your brother.

You are talking and SO proud of your new communication skills. Your first intelligible words were "Bye, bye" (sounds like "bah, bah), followed closely by, "Mac" (sounds like "Mah"), "No" (relatively clear), and "Uh-oh" (sounds like "oh-oh"). You have a word for Maya--it's difficult to tell what you're saying but it always sounds the same (sort of like, "Mah-ee"). You do not say "mama" but instead call us both "dah-dee". Pretty cute. You also use a little sign language--our own Anderson adaptations of "more" and "all done".

You love to eat bread. Every time I bring it out, you react as if it's pure bliss--kicking your feet, leaning forward in your high chair, signaling for more. I have to reserve it for the end of the meal, otherwise you would eat nothing else. You have shown far more enthusiasm for bread than any other food.

I'm proud of you lately because you're learning to happily play by yourself. This is huge--since you've learned to crawl you usually use your mobility to follow me (or sometimes your brother) everywhere. But just in the past few days (and I hope it lasts!), you'll decide to go crawl in your room and play with your toys by yourself. (Actually, I say toys, but more often than not it's actually shoes. You are obsessed with shoes and love to play with them. You love trying to put them on yourself--though of course you are nowhere near mastering the skill. You will often crawl around the house carrying one or two shoes with you. So funny and cute...and girlie!)

Sweet Arden (or, "baby gurl" as your brother calls you), we love you so dearly. I am sad to see your babyhood dissolving as you become a toddler, but I am so excited to see who you are becoming. I pray that you grow in Jesus: knowing him, loving him, trusting him, and becoming more like him. I pray that we can be the parents that you need. I pray that you and Mac grow closer and closer, and learn to love others in the world by learning to love one another. I pray that these early years of your life become a foundation for a life lived in Christ, and that we are able to make decisions for you to that end.

I am so thankful that the Lord has entrusted you to us. You are a blessing, every day. Happy Birthday my sweets!

I love you,
Mama (or, "Dah--dee"--your current name for me)

No comments:

Post a Comment