Why blog? I don't even have a facebook account...it feels like it makes life so public. But then--blogging is kind of like a diary, isn't it? It makes me feel a little like Doogie Houser at the end of the day--collecting my thoughts and putting them down. I don't want to blog because I want my life to be public (though I don't mind wearing my heart on my sleeve, most of the time) or because I'm a narcissist, but because these days of our young family are so precious I don't want to lose them to a faulty memory. This time, this stage, these moments truly are 'a time to keep', and blogging is simply the most convenient way to keep them and share them.

I really didn't think I'd ever start a blog...but now that Mac has stopped calling firetrucks "fire knuckles" (he now calls them firetrucks, and I'm so sad!), I realize I'll forget that he ever did that if I don't write it down. So, the blog begins. Welcome.

Monday, June 6, 2011

Columbia: Famously Hot

I always forget...
IMG_0728.JPG

how hot it gets! Last week was a scorcher. On our 8th anniversary it was 101 degrees! In May! Crazy.

Time to bust out the kiddie pool.
IMG_0730.JPG

The garden (behind the pool in the photo above) is doing well. We've enjoyed a handful of cherry tomatoes, 2 cucumbers, a few strawberries, and lots of fresh herbs already. We're watching the peppers grow and our Early Girl and Better Boy Tomatoes ripen...soon they'll all be ready! (Yes, our tomato plants are gigantic. They were taller than me by the first week in May. We credit this.)

So in other random news, my flickr account suddenly has newborn pictures of Mac in my recent photostream. I think Brad was deleting stuff off his jump drive and wanted to be sure it the photos were saved. Check this--Mac's first day on earth:
McCabe Thomas 023
What a sweet ball of baby that is! Can you believe he's almost four years old???

Here's another one...just born! Ah sweetness!
McCabe Thomas 010

In other news, our little ragamuffin sneaked out and got into a bar fight. Here's her mugshot:
IMG_0709.JPG

Obviously--not true! She actually was bitten by a mosquito near her eye, which caused her eye to nearly swell shut. (We had to visit the doctor for this one!) I kept her inside for several days after, then, on our first venture back outdoors she had ANOTHER mosquito land and bite her about a quarter of an inch from the first bite. Atta girl.

{I do use bug spray, but not on their faces!}

"Don't mess with me, ya hear?"
IMG_0697.JPG

My two chickens are hilarious. They are best friends or worst enemies at all times. I have no idea what they were doing here, but they thought it was hysterical:
IMG_0689.JPG
IMG_0690.JPG

We went to the beach a little while ago. So fun, but I caught the plague so I spent the first half of the week in misery. Antibiotics are a good thing. I'll finish up with some beach pics...
IMG_0548.JPG
IMG_0664.JPG
IMG_0662.JPG

Mac called this, "water game fire game". He'd fill a bucket then throw it to "put out the fire":
IMG_0637.JPG

And now I'm just flat-out annoyed with blogger because it won't publish the rest of my post. So, I'll post more beach pics later. Of course, I said that last summer and never did. So we'll see. Goodnight blog-world!

No comments:

Post a Comment