Why blog? I don't even have a facebook account...it feels like it makes life so public. But then--blogging is kind of like a diary, isn't it? It makes me feel a little like Doogie Houser at the end of the day--collecting my thoughts and putting them down. I don't want to blog because I want my life to be public (though I don't mind wearing my heart on my sleeve, most of the time) or because I'm a narcissist, but because these days of our young family are so precious I don't want to lose them to a faulty memory. This time, this stage, these moments truly are 'a time to keep', and blogging is simply the most convenient way to keep them and share them.

I really didn't think I'd ever start a blog...but now that Mac has stopped calling firetrucks "fire knuckles" (he now calls them firetrucks, and I'm so sad!), I realize I'll forget that he ever did that if I don't write it down. So, the blog begins. Welcome.

Saturday, July 2, 2011

How does my famously hot hometown celebrate back to back baseball national champs?
DSC_0119
{I wish the pics captured the gamecock flag above the statehouse!}

With a famously hot parade down main street at high noon on the first day of July!
DSC_0127

With "tens of thousands" (according to local news, the official estimates have not yet been released--but last year 40,000 showed up!) in attendance! We took the kids of course.
DSC_0124
DSC_0126
DSC_0138-1
DSC_0144-1

There were really so many random people in this parade. Random law enforcement, lots (and lots and lots) of beauty queens, people who had garnet cars.
DSC_0147-1

This boat had a gator and a tiger tied to the back (you can't see the tiger in this pic). I overheard many Clemson cracks!
DSC_0152-1

This guy is an elder at our church! He saw us and waved.
DSC_0153-1

Who are these people?
DSC_0156-1

Or this guy?
DSC_0157-1

When this guy went by, I was flabbergasted! Seriously!?!? Are they letting you in the parade if you have a garnet car/truck/van??
DSC_0158-1

The kids seemed entertained.
DSC_0162-1

DSC_0165-1

DSC_0170-1

My heart about melted when Mac put his arm around Arden.
DSC_0171-1

They waved at all the beauty queens.
DSC_0174-1

A real Gamecock!!
DSC_0187-1

Cocky!
DSC_0189-1

Finally! Coach Ray Tanner! Followed by the team! The moment we've all been waiting (and sweating!) for!
DSC_0192-1

Yeehaw! Go Gamecocks!!!!
DSC_0200-1

People were going nuts at this point. It was a little overwhelming.
DSC_0205-1

More of the team!
DSC_0206-1

We headed home right after the team passed. It was blazing hot and we couldn't stand another minute. There was a ceremony when they reached the statehouse, but we skipped that part!

Time for a homemade popsicle to cool down!
DSC_0215-1

If all this fanfare happens after winning the national championship in baseball...I think the earth might shift on its axis if we won the national championship in football! I know it's not likely any time soon...but then, a girl can dream, right?

GO GAMECOCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment