Why blog? I don't even have a facebook account...it feels like it makes life so public. But then--blogging is kind of like a diary, isn't it? It makes me feel a little like Doogie Houser at the end of the day--collecting my thoughts and putting them down. I don't want to blog because I want my life to be public (though I don't mind wearing my heart on my sleeve, most of the time) or because I'm a narcissist, but because these days of our young family are so precious I don't want to lose them to a faulty memory. This time, this stage, these moments truly are 'a time to keep', and blogging is simply the most convenient way to keep them and share them.

I really didn't think I'd ever start a blog...but now that Mac has stopped calling firetrucks "fire knuckles" (he now calls them firetrucks, and I'm so sad!), I realize I'll forget that he ever did that if I don't write it down. So, the blog begins. Welcome.

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Milestones

In the past 3 (ish) weeks, some milestones for Arden:

1. Crawling. The "tuck and scoot": tucks the left foot under her bottom, uses her right foot to propel herself. The girl can MOVE and has decided that she would most like to spend time in her brother's room. She keeps getting bruises on her forehead though, because she'll get some momentum and her arms won't keep up with her propelling leg, causing her to faceplant. (But she doesn't seem upset when this happens, despite the shiner.)
2. Pulling up--but not yet sitting down. The source of many terrified shrieks from her room. "Help me!!! Help me!!! I'm standing up but I'm supposed to be sleeping and I DON'T KNOW HOW TO SIT DOWN!" (Once I went in to help her and she was so relieved and excited that she put her arms out for me to pick her up...only to immediately fall sideways...and of course become more upset. Sweet girl!)
3. First tooth! You can barely see it, but you can feel its razor edge that has (finally) poked through.

Interestingly, she is doing all these at almost exactly the same age Mac did (between 8 and 9 months). He did learn to sit from standing much sooner than she has. I'm working on teaching her this skill.

One other cute thing from around here: Yesterday and today, Mac has been gathering stacks of books and then announcing to me that he is leaving to go to Bible Study. "Bye mom! I'm going to Bible Study! See ya later--honk! honk!" (He always follows "see you later" with "honk-honk". No idea where it comes from.) Sweet boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment