Why blog? I don't even have a facebook account...it feels like it makes life so public. But then--blogging is kind of like a diary, isn't it? It makes me feel a little like Doogie Houser at the end of the day--collecting my thoughts and putting them down. I don't want to blog because I want my life to be public (though I don't mind wearing my heart on my sleeve, most of the time) or because I'm a narcissist, but because these days of our young family are so precious I don't want to lose them to a faulty memory. This time, this stage, these moments truly are 'a time to keep', and blogging is simply the most convenient way to keep them and share them.

I really didn't think I'd ever start a blog...but now that Mac has stopped calling firetrucks "fire knuckles" (he now calls them firetrucks, and I'm so sad!), I realize I'll forget that he ever did that if I don't write it down. So, the blog begins. Welcome.

Saturday, October 17, 2009

Our Dear, Sweet Arden,





"The Lord has done great things for us, and we are filled with joy!" Psalm 126:3

We're so glad you're here. You came to us yesterday afternoon at 1:25, weighing 8 pounds and 3 ounces, 21 inches long. (How big would you have been had you not been born 10 days early?)

I'm so glad you're big--it make me feel like you are strong and resilient. And you are--your coming was a little bit miraculous. Knowing you were breech (upside down--or right-side up, depending on how you look at it), your mama's doctor wanted to take you out of her belly using a special surgery. I was really scared, Arden, but I knew it was the safest way to get you here to us. When they took you out, everyone in the room gasped--your umbilical cord was wrapped around your neck, twice. (That explained why you would not turn over when they tried to turn you a few weeks ago.) Then I was REALLY scared, because I didn't hear you crying yet. It seemed like forever, but it was only a few seconds that I heard your sweet voice for the first time. And everything was okay then. The Lord protected you and me from danger, and gave us a wise doctor who kept us both safe.

Your daddy and I are so happy today. We're so excited to notice all the special things about you--your long, elegant fingers, your sweet fuzzy hair (I think you're going to be blonde like your brother), your mouth (you have your daddy's mouth, Mac has mine), your ears (like mine). We're trying to predict your personality--you seem really interested in your daddy and me (but not so much everyone else). We keep trying to compare your personality to your brother's--but we're having a hard time remembering what he was like right at first!

Mac got to meet you last night and again this afternoon. He was pretty excited and wanted to give you lots of kisses. He also really liked the trash can in mama's hospital room. It has a pedal that makes the lid pop up. Your daddy and I really miss him this weekend--Nans is keeping him while we stay here at the hospital with you. But we are treasuring these special first days with you.

Arden, what a precious gift you are. We can't wait to see the little girl, the young lady, and woman you will become.

much love,
Mama




No comments:

Post a Comment