Why blog? I don't even have a facebook account...it feels like it makes life so public. But then--blogging is kind of like a diary, isn't it? It makes me feel a little like Doogie Houser at the end of the day--collecting my thoughts and putting them down. I don't want to blog because I want my life to be public (though I don't mind wearing my heart on my sleeve, most of the time) or because I'm a narcissist, but because these days of our young family are so precious I don't want to lose them to a faulty memory. This time, this stage, these moments truly are 'a time to keep', and blogging is simply the most convenient way to keep them and share them.

I really didn't think I'd ever start a blog...but now that Mac has stopped calling firetrucks "fire knuckles" (he now calls them firetrucks, and I'm so sad!), I realize I'll forget that he ever did that if I don't write it down. So, the blog begins. Welcome.

Monday, February 22, 2010

Baptism

What a special day! I can't wait to go back and listen to the audio. I've heard that Dr. Ferguson prayed a very meaningful and special prayer for our sweet girl. I admit...I wasn't paying attention...Mac was wiping a huge booger on me...and I was distracted. I'm so sorry...I guess this is what it will mean for Arden to be a middle (hopefully) child.

But despite the distractions, I think Arden's baptism has been more meaningful to us that Mac's. Now that we've lived almost 2 and a half years, struggling to learn what it means to raise these children in the nurture and admonition of the Lord--and beginning to see some sweet fruit of the Lord's hand and our efforts (along with REAL proof that there is no good in us or our children apart from the Lord)...we are beginning to understand the depth of this responsibility. And the joy it brings.

There are so many ideas to reflect on when it comes to baptism, but the one that the Lord is really pressing on my heart is that these babies are HIS, entrusted to us as family. I love them fiercely--I can't imagine life without them. But I know He wants us to hold them with open hands, always His before they are ours. Always His.

Baptism (among many things) is a reminder of this--His gift to us in our children, our promise to him to raise them as His. What a precious gift.

1 comment:

  1. I love this! I didn't hear any of the prayers either because I was trying to get Liv to stop fussing. I finally got her during our prayer because I felt like it was safe to stick my finger in her mouth=)

    ReplyDelete