Why blog? I don't even have a facebook account...it feels like it makes life so public. But then--blogging is kind of like a diary, isn't it? It makes me feel a little like Doogie Houser at the end of the day--collecting my thoughts and putting them down. I don't want to blog because I want my life to be public (though I don't mind wearing my heart on my sleeve, most of the time) or because I'm a narcissist, but because these days of our young family are so precious I don't want to lose them to a faulty memory. This time, this stage, these moments truly are 'a time to keep', and blogging is simply the most convenient way to keep them and share them.

I really didn't think I'd ever start a blog...but now that Mac has stopped calling firetrucks "fire knuckles" (he now calls them firetrucks, and I'm so sad!), I realize I'll forget that he ever did that if I don't write it down. So, the blog begins. Welcome.

Friday, February 12, 2010

Potty Time!

Waiting for Mac to do something in the potty is like listening to Monica Seles play tennis. It can be quite amusing but I try not to laugh!

Also, a friend lent me 8 of her cloth diapers to try! So Arden has been wearing them some this week. (8 is about enough for one day--so she's worn them every other day this week. On the off days I wash and air dry them.) They're really pretty cool! They look something like this:
Pretty cool, eh? They're so soft and sweet! And have been working really well! The process for cleaning them is so thorough (but not labor intensive) that I'm not even freaked out about them being in my washer : )

So, given that the average child uses just over $2,000 worth of diapers in their infancy and toddlerhood, I'm pretty interested in saving a few dollars. I can think of MUCH better ways to spend the $60ish we spend per month in diapers! (That figure will go down once Mac's out of diapers and she's a little bigger and doesn't use as many...but still!)

The main thing I've learned in trying them...? I thought it would be a BIG DEAL to switch to cloth...but actually, it's not a big deal at all. I've got to change diapers all the time anyway--what's one more step in the process? Especially--ESPECIALLY--saving that kind of money. So we'll see. I'll use them a few more days, and make the final decision. But I'm leaning very strongly in that direction.

Oh--not to mention that it's so much nicer to put soft cotton on her little bottom than bleached, chemical-ridden paper!

No comments:

Post a Comment