Why blog? I don't even have a facebook account...it feels like it makes life so public. But then--blogging is kind of like a diary, isn't it? It makes me feel a little like Doogie Houser at the end of the day--collecting my thoughts and putting them down. I don't want to blog because I want my life to be public (though I don't mind wearing my heart on my sleeve, most of the time) or because I'm a narcissist, but because these days of our young family are so precious I don't want to lose them to a faulty memory. This time, this stage, these moments truly are 'a time to keep', and blogging is simply the most convenient way to keep them and share them.

I really didn't think I'd ever start a blog...but now that Mac has stopped calling firetrucks "fire knuckles" (he now calls them firetrucks, and I'm so sad!), I realize I'll forget that he ever did that if I don't write it down. So, the blog begins. Welcome.

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

The Disciples

I went to the hospital today to visit my dear friend and her new baby. Here's how the conversation went when I got home:

Me: Mac, I went to the hospital and I got to see baby Peter.
{Loooong pause. Mac seems to be considering this.}
Mac: See John?
Me: Do you mean Mr. Jon? (The baby's father.)
{Pause...not quite as long as the first.}
Mac: No! See Jesus?

Mac evidently thought I went see Peter...as in the apostle Peter. And because the pictures of Peter in our Bible Stories book always have John, James and Jesus with him, Mac apparently thought I went to see them too.

(We actually don't know if all the pictures are of Peter, James and John...we just use those names because Mac asks who everyone is in each picture in the Bible. So we usually say the people with Jesus are Peter, James and John. )

In other news--Mac is really picking up on this potty-training thing! I'm so proud of him! The funny part is that he insists on removing all his clothes when he sits on the potty. I don't want potty-training to become a battleground, so I let him (rephrase: I help him) strip down completely. We'll have to break that habit soon, but for now, it's pretty funny.

Also, Arden is going to be a thumb-sucker, I think. I went in to check on her while she was napping today. I was watching her sleep--so sweet--and she stirred a little and brought her thumb right up to her mouth and relaxed again (all in her sleep). So great that she can comfort herself...but it's going to a painful habit to break one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment