Why blog? I don't even have a facebook account...it feels like it makes life so public. But then--blogging is kind of like a diary, isn't it? It makes me feel a little like Doogie Houser at the end of the day--collecting my thoughts and putting them down. I don't want to blog because I want my life to be public (though I don't mind wearing my heart on my sleeve, most of the time) or because I'm a narcissist, but because these days of our young family are so precious I don't want to lose them to a faulty memory. This time, this stage, these moments truly are 'a time to keep', and blogging is simply the most convenient way to keep them and share them.

I really didn't think I'd ever start a blog...but now that Mac has stopped calling firetrucks "fire knuckles" (he now calls them firetrucks, and I'm so sad!), I realize I'll forget that he ever did that if I don't write it down. So, the blog begins. Welcome.

Friday, March 5, 2010

BOY!


Don't be alarmed...
It's marker. We let Mac play with markers today and he was in heaven. So were his feet...his hands...his cheeks...and his ear lobes. The flamingo had to lick it all away. (That's code for--the pink washcloth had to scrub it. But he's much, much happier to let a pink flamingo lick it than for the washcloth to scrub it, so.)

The only reason he was allowed to play with them was because I couldn't find a highlighter and used a yellow marker instead to highlight all our medical expenses in 2009 for tax purposes. So he got to play with the rest--otherwise there is NO WAY I could have helped Brad with our taxes during toddler waking hours.

(Speaking of which, our medical expenses were INSANE, but at least they passed a certain threshold where we get more on our tax return. I was certain that we'd be $5.00 too short!)

Other random updates on our boy:

Mac refers to anything in the past as "yesterday" (sounds like "yet-der-d-aye")--even if it happened this morning.

Me: Mac, what did we do today?
Mac: Go park yesterday! (still the standard first answer, even if we have not visited the park in days.)
Me: No, Mac! We didn't go to the park! What did we do today?
Mac: See people working on roof! (We have had at least 3 houses in the neighborhood have new roofs put on recently. Mac LOVES to see people working on the roof.)
Me: Mac, what did we do today?
Mac: See bulldozer yesterday!

And on it goes.

Another funny thing Mac has been talking about this week is the penguin at the zoo. We took a quick trip to the zoo Wednesday, just looking at a few of the indoor exhibits since it was cold. For the first time, Mac was not afraid of the penguins! Yay! But as we were looking closely at a few of them swimming (right at Mac's eye level), one of the penguins pooped. He will NOT STOP TALKING ABOUT IT! Every day since, several times a day, out of the blue, I hear, "The penguin pooped a little bit!" Mac is such a BOY!

Speaking of which, I saw a cute quote the other day:
"Boy: A noise with dirt on it."
True of our house now...probably true for the next--um?--16 years? I'm okay with that!

No comments:

Post a Comment