Why blog? I don't even have a facebook account...it feels like it makes life so public. But then--blogging is kind of like a diary, isn't it? It makes me feel a little like Doogie Houser at the end of the day--collecting my thoughts and putting them down. I don't want to blog because I want my life to be public (though I don't mind wearing my heart on my sleeve, most of the time) or because I'm a narcissist, but because these days of our young family are so precious I don't want to lose them to a faulty memory. This time, this stage, these moments truly are 'a time to keep', and blogging is simply the most convenient way to keep them and share them.

I really didn't think I'd ever start a blog...but now that Mac has stopped calling firetrucks "fire knuckles" (he now calls them firetrucks, and I'm so sad!), I realize I'll forget that he ever did that if I don't write it down. So, the blog begins. Welcome.

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Daddy go to work!

It's funny to gain some insight into what Mac thinks Brad does when he goes to work. A few days ago, we had the following conversation as Mac was perched on the chair by the window, watching Brad get in the car to go to work (and waving furiously)...

Mac: Bye Daddy! Bye-bye Daddy!
(pause)
Daddy go to work!
Me: That's right Mac. Daddy's going to work.
Mac: Daddy go work see big kids!
Me: Well, Mac, sometimes when Daddy goes to work he sees the big kids. But a lot of times he has to work in the office on the computer and use the phone.
Mac: (seems to consider this) Daddy work at church!
Me: Yes, Daddy works at church.
Mac: (pauses again...seems to be weighing this) Daddy play toys at work?

It makes sense I guess--since most of Mac's church experience is in the nursery, and he knows Brad works at the church, he therefore assumes that Brad goes most days to the church and plays in the nursery. It's just a funny mental picture to me--Brad and his youth staff, playing with nursery toys all day.
..........................................................................
Another, unrelated, cute thing: Mac kept looking at me tonight and saying, "Guess what, mom!" I would say, "What?" And he would just say, "Guess what!" again. On and on it went. It's funny how he picks up patterns in our speech and repeats them, without even knowing what they mean. He also lately says, "Oh my goodness" and "let's see".

No comments:

Post a Comment