Why blog? I don't even have a facebook account...it feels like it makes life so public. But then--blogging is kind of like a diary, isn't it? It makes me feel a little like Doogie Houser at the end of the day--collecting my thoughts and putting them down. I don't want to blog because I want my life to be public (though I don't mind wearing my heart on my sleeve, most of the time) or because I'm a narcissist, but because these days of our young family are so precious I don't want to lose them to a faulty memory. This time, this stage, these moments truly are 'a time to keep', and blogging is simply the most convenient way to keep them and share them.

I really didn't think I'd ever start a blog...but now that Mac has stopped calling firetrucks "fire knuckles" (he now calls them firetrucks, and I'm so sad!), I realize I'll forget that he ever did that if I don't write it down. So, the blog begins. Welcome.

Friday, November 13, 2009

Arden's Name

Both Mac and Arden are named for family members. I'll have to do another post on Mac's name sometime, but since Arden is our new one we'll focus on her today. Arden is named for 2 of her great-grandparents: Brad's Grandpa Ranft (Duane Arden Ranft) and my Grandmother Tribble (Dorothy Green Tribble). That's Grandmother in the picture, meeting Arden at the hospital the day after she was born. (Meanwhile, Arden's mama was heavily medicated and drifting in and out of sleep...c-section pain is NO JOKE.)

Grandpa Ranft is a World War Two veteran--a hero who fought in the Pacific in the Navy. He's a tough guy who speaks his mind--yet underneath all that he's a man who dearly loves his family. It's especially meaningful to me how much he clearly loves Mac, and now Arden too. I have the honor of wearing the diamonds he gave Brad's grandmother everyday on my engagement ring.

My Grandmother Tribble (Gamie, as Mac calls her)...there's so much I could say about her. First, she prays for me (and all her children and grandchildren) every day. I do not doubt that many good things in my life have unfolded because of her faithful prayers. She is the mother of 6 boys--wow. She is strong, smart, and determined. (I wonder if raising 6 boys has given her these characteristics, or if God gave her 6 boys because she already had these qualities?)

Grandmother has been a powerful influence in my life in many ways. Perhaps the most significant is that she introduced me to--and taught me to love--Bonclarken. My amazing Grandmother filled her mountain house with loads of Grandchildren and grand-nieces and nephews every July for nearly 30 years now. Those summer memories with my cousins and siblings are priceless. Bonclarken remains my very favorite place on earth. Sitting on the porch of Grandmother's mountain house--on a perfect summer day with a perfect summer peach, or a crisp fall day with a cup of coffee and a warm blanket--it doesn't get any better than that.

But more than a place with sweet memories and a great porch--Bonclarken (perhaps Grandmother's house? I don't remember) is where I eventually met and fell in love with Brad. It's crazy to imagine my life without Bonclarken, and impossible to imagine never knowing, loving, and marrying Brad. For this--I am so deeply grateful to my Grandmother.

The actual meaning of Arden's name: Arden is English and means something about a forest (an "Arden"). Dorothy is Greek and means, "Gift of God". She is a gift from God!

No comments:

Post a Comment