Why blog? I don't even have a facebook account...it feels like it makes life so public. But then--blogging is kind of like a diary, isn't it? It makes me feel a little like Doogie Houser at the end of the day--collecting my thoughts and putting them down. I don't want to blog because I want my life to be public (though I don't mind wearing my heart on my sleeve, most of the time) or because I'm a narcissist, but because these days of our young family are so precious I don't want to lose them to a faulty memory. This time, this stage, these moments truly are 'a time to keep', and blogging is simply the most convenient way to keep them and share them.

I really didn't think I'd ever start a blog...but now that Mac has stopped calling firetrucks "fire knuckles" (he now calls them firetrucks, and I'm so sad!), I realize I'll forget that he ever did that if I don't write it down. So, the blog begins. Welcome.

Sunday, December 20, 2009

Great (like, ridiculously great) Is Thy Faithfulness

I've been reminded of the faithfulness of our Heavenly Father in 2 powerful but quite different ways this week--one serious, one lighthearted--both vivid.

The first, the serious one, I will not describe here because it involves the health of a loved one...and I don't think it's my business to give details about that on the world-wide-web.

But, the second, the lighthearted one...well, it's just ridiculous (in a good way), and this is the perfect place to share it.

Yesterday, Mac was napping and Arden had just finished eating...Brad was home...all these factors add up to one glorious reality: NO ONE NEEDS ME RIGHT NOW. I looked at Brad, asked if he could spare me for an hour (well, of course he could), and I skipped out the door to do a little Christmas shopping.

Who in their right mind goes out in the middle of the afternoon the Saturday before Christmas with a long and very specific gift list? Me. That's who.

So, I prayed. It may seem like a pithy thing to pray for, but I asked the Lord to provide what I needed in this tiny window of time. I asked the Lord to keep me from stressing about it. I asked the Lord to help me find things quickly and for a good price. If we, who are human, know how to give good gifts to our children, how much more does our Father in heaven give good things to those who ask?

I pulled into the first store--hoping, but not sure, they would have what I needed. I got the absolutely closest parking space--the rest of the parking lot was packed. Ridiculous. I dashed inside. Prayed that they would have it (can't share what it is because the recipient may read this). Prayed that it would be the right kind. Prayed that it would be under a certain price.

After a few moments of looking, I found exactly what I was trying to find. There was only ONE, and it was precisely the right kind. One dollar under my budgeted amount. Wow. Ridiculous.

When I went to pay....it rang up HALF PRICE. Amazing. Ridiculous.

Well, I thought it would take me the whole hour outing to find this one thing. But only 15 minutes had passed. So, I thought I'd swing by Belk on my way home, see if they had something cute Mac could wear for Christmas. I was envisioning a red cable-knit sweater vest. How sweet would that be?!?

It's always a bad idea to envision something that specific apparel-wise. You'll never find it.

But...I got to Belk. Scored another awesome parking spot. Dashed into the children's section. The FIRST thing I saw is a red cable-knit sweater vest in exactly--EXACTLY!--Mac's size. On a table marked 50% off. And they only had one left. For real.

This is ridiculous. But the story doesn't end there.

I purchased the sweet little sweater vest (which he tried on today, by the way, and he looked soooooo cute. I could eat that kid up!), jumped in the car, called Brad. He says things are cool at home...so I have time to run to Target to get Mac's gifts. (At this point, I've only been gone 30 minutes--insane! The Saturday before Christmas and in 30 minutes I've bought 2 things, exactly what I was looking for?? Ridiculous!!!)

So, I ran to Target. Found a perfect shirt on clearance to wear under the sweater-vest. Found a book and a dump truck for Mac. Took my loot to the front...

Well, the dream had to end somewhere, right? There must have been 200 people waiting in lines at the front of the store (I am not exaggerating, it was seriously crazy in there). But I was cool with it. After all, I'd had a good run. I picked a line. I was last. There were about 15 people ahead of me. Oh well.

Then...I am not lying...a little red elf (well--that's an exaggeration--he was just a Target employee) came up to me and said, "Come with me, ma'am." For real?!?!? I followed him to customer service, they checked me out. I was out of Target in 20 minutes. REEE-DIC--U-LOUS. In a good way.

It would be easy to chalk this up to good luck or happenstance. But it's not. I prayed for help. The Lord sent help. I know the Lord is not a heavenly Santa Clause just waiting to wave his magic wand (yes, I realize that's a fairy godmother, but how else to put it?)--and sometimes he answers our prayers by saying "no" for a reason; but I also know he delights to provide and he is able. HE. IS. ABLE.

I know my shopping trip is ultimately very trivial. I know the Lord didn't answer my prayers only to help me out--he answered me to remind me of his faithfulness and caring as my Father in heaven. To demonstrate his power over ALL things. To remind me that his caring hand is on me, on my family.

This, at the end of a week that has been stressful for other reasons (the serious incident I mentioned at first), the Lord reminded me that he is orchestrating all the details of our lives. It's ridiculous. In a good way.

No comments:

Post a Comment