Why blog? I don't even have a facebook account...it feels like it makes life so public. But then--blogging is kind of like a diary, isn't it? It makes me feel a little like Doogie Houser at the end of the day--collecting my thoughts and putting them down. I don't want to blog because I want my life to be public (though I don't mind wearing my heart on my sleeve, most of the time) or because I'm a narcissist, but because these days of our young family are so precious I don't want to lose them to a faulty memory. This time, this stage, these moments truly are 'a time to keep', and blogging is simply the most convenient way to keep them and share them.

I really didn't think I'd ever start a blog...but now that Mac has stopped calling firetrucks "fire knuckles" (he now calls them firetrucks, and I'm so sad!), I realize I'll forget that he ever did that if I don't write it down. So, the blog begins. Welcome.

Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Jesus Was a White Man and Mary Is a Single Mom

Tonight at supper:
Mac: (pitching a fit because he has to eat some of his other food before he can have more sweet potato) Waa! Waa! Waa!
Brad: (Singing) Surely he taught us to love one another! His name is ...? (An attempt to distract and/or cheer Mac, Brad sings the second verse of O Holy Night but is not sure of the words. Who knows why.) How's it go?
Mac: Waa! Waa! Waa!
Kelley: Um...maybe his name is peace?
Mac: Waa! Waa! Waa!
Brad: (Singing) Surely he taught us to love one another! His name is peace and his gospel is light!
Mac: Waa! Waa! Waa!
Kelley: Did you say he is white?
Mac: Waa! Waa! Waa!
Brad: No, I said his gospel is light. But Jesus was a white man. (Sarcasm! We think it's funny when we see pictures of a blue eyed Jesus...because, hello--he's JEWISH!)
(Brad and Kelley don't notice--Mac is suddenly listening intently.)
Kelley: We've got to be careful--Mac's going to go to church and tell his Sunday School teacher that Jesus was a white man.
Mac: Jesus was a white man!
Brad and Kelley: Hahahahahahahahaha!
Mac: (realizing that he's funny and wanting to make us laugh) Jesus was a white man! Jesus was a white man! Jesus was a white man!
**********************************************************
Fortunately, this actually sounded more like, "She-us-what-uh-et-mun." So, we're safe for now. Only mom and dad actually know what he's saying.
**********************************************************
In other news, Jospeh is missing from our nativity scene, so Mary is currently a single mom. (Ironically, our baby Jesus IS white. But so far Mac hasn't noticed.)

No comments:

Post a Comment