Why blog? I don't even have a facebook account...it feels like it makes life so public. But then--blogging is kind of like a diary, isn't it? It makes me feel a little like Doogie Houser at the end of the day--collecting my thoughts and putting them down. I don't want to blog because I want my life to be public (though I don't mind wearing my heart on my sleeve, most of the time) or because I'm a narcissist, but because these days of our young family are so precious I don't want to lose them to a faulty memory. This time, this stage, these moments truly are 'a time to keep', and blogging is simply the most convenient way to keep them and share them.

I really didn't think I'd ever start a blog...but now that Mac has stopped calling firetrucks "fire knuckles" (he now calls them firetrucks, and I'm so sad!), I realize I'll forget that he ever did that if I don't write it down. So, the blog begins. Welcome.

Sunday, December 27, 2009

Some Funny Mac-isms

Mac got a toy fire truck from one of my aunt Lynns (I have 2). It looks something like this:
He was SO excited when he unwrapped it. He loves firetrucks and always alerts us when he hears a siren in the distance (sirens are never police cars, sometimes ambulances, but usually firetrucks--according to Mac).

The new toy firetruck has a button...so Mac promptly pushed it...and then erupted the loudest, most realistic firetruck siren sound you can imagine. (Meanwhile, I am cringing, imagining my life filled with this siren for the next 3 months.)

But apparently Mac was cringing too--he looked at me and informed me that it was loud (pronounced "L-oww-d"). And he has not pushed the button since. He still adores the truck, but each time he picks it up to play, he looks at me and in a very matter-of-fact voice declares, "It's l-oww-d."

Another cute moment today--in an effort to shorten the effects of this cold, I gave Mac his first vitamin. I gave it to him and told him to eat it. He gobbled it up with a smile--loving it. After eating it, he looked at me and in his sweetest little toddler voice asked, "Mama, was that in m' m-oww-ff?" (translation: Mama, what's that in my mouth?). Oh, such sweetness.

Here's another cutie-pie moment: Mac got a really cool backpack from his aunt Meg and uncle Stephen for Christmas (btw--he thinks uncle Stephen hung the moon). It's so sweet--I actually got teary eyed last night when he tried it on, imagining his cute little pudgy tummy toddling off to his first day of school one day. He wanted to put it on again tonight, and proceeded to admire it in the full-length mirror. There he was, in his footed pajamas, hamming it up in the mirror, admiring his new backpack. He kept turning and posing, checking it out from all angles. He was so happy. It was seriously adorable.

I have been getting a kick recently out of Mac's response to the question: Do you have a dirty diaper? If he does, he says yes...but if he doesn't, he looks at me in all seriousness and says with his big blue eyes, "It's gas." Too funny.

2 more amusing Mac stories:

Mac loves chocolate-covered raisins and hates getting his ears cleaned. Though I usually object to parental bribery, what's the harm in taking advantage of the benefits every once in awhile? So, he gets a chocolate-covered raisin if he lets me clean his ears (they get yucky in a hurry...is this true of all toddler boys??). His new ploy: coming into the bathroom when I'm putting on my makeup or drying my hair, and saying with a coy grin, "Mama, clean ear! Get chocolate?" Who says very young children don't understand rewards and consequences? (I don't give in to this ploy unless his ears are actually dirty...but like I said--they very often are.)

On Christmas night, 39 of my aunts, uncles, cousins and siblings gathered at my Grandmother's house (these are the descendants--and their spouses--of my grandparents...a lot of people and not everyone was able to come!). Mac has not seen many of these people since he was 2 months old--2 Christmases ago. But he had no trouble making himself right at home, running around, talking to anyone who would listen. He doesn't see "Gamie" (his great grandmother) often, yet he went right up to her and gave her a hug when we arrived. One of my relatives made the observation--"Wow! He's not shy at all!" Nope. He's not.

So here are some funny Mac moments from Christmas week. He keeps us laughing, when he's not making me want to pull my hair out!


No comments:

Post a Comment